Sunday, November 4, 2012

Modeling Reality with Virtual Worlds

After reading a couple of articles I was surprised by the popularity of virtual sites. It also changed my opinion about them. Before I thought that virtual websites are a waste of time that take people away from reality and actual interactions. Then I read an article by Nicole Saidi “ iReport “Naughty Auties’ battle autism with virtual interactions” and it changed my mind. I never thought that virtual world interactions can help people with autism, it is such a great idea ! Since the interactions and surrounding of the virtual world are very close to the actual thing , people with autism can prepare themselves to socialize in the real world and not get nervous.  It is amazing how accurate virtual worlds have become. The creativity behind creating a website that is so close to the real thing is amazing!
There are also cons to virtual world. The article by Dave Itzkoff “I’ve been in that club, just not in the real life” shows how close the virtual world is to the real one.  I don’t think it is a good way to live your life in the virtual world and not experience the real thing. I think that interacting online has side effects of becoming isolated. People do not want to go out into the real world anymore because they can do the same at the comfort of their home. I think it can be a problem…. Just like with anything virtual world have pros and cons, after reading the articles it did make me realize that virtual worlds are not bad all together and can benefit the society, I am just not sure if the benefits outweigh the negatives yet ….

No comments:

Post a Comment